Search

2009-04-29

Peter Sohn Talks Partly Cloudy

Pixar's newest director, Peter Sohn, talks to Animation World Magazine about his short film, Partly Cloudy, which will be playing with Up in theaters next month. Pixar, um..fans (we need a catchy name for you guys, something like "Ghibli Freaks") will recognize Sohn as the voice of Remy's brother, Emile, in Ratatouille. He has also worked as an animator and storyboard artist on Ratatouille, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, and The Iron Giant.

Here's a short clip for you:

The original pitch was just as I explained: There's the world of storks that deliver babies, but where do they get these babies from? And my answer was obviously the clouds. And I had done some drawings of these cloud characters -- taking some photos and Photoshopping eyes and a nose in and then having some birds all flocking up to the skies. I pitched this story of a smaller gray cloud that [lived below and] made some of the dangerous babies. And I showed John [Lasseter] these images and he touched on one of them and said let's start developing this one. And that was close to a year-and-a-half ago and it's been a really interesting learning experience for me. Obviously, this is my first [short]. It really is like raising a baby. I felt very much like Gus during this thing -- making something and wanting people to like it.

1 comment:

Malik Ming said...

I think some people use the term "Pixarians," but I may be mistaken.

Can't wait to see what Peter Sohn has in store for us. He has an advantage over past short directors Doug Sweetland and Gary Rydstrom of actually being an experienced story artist, so I wonder if his short will overshadow theirs.

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover