Search

2009-07-26

Miyazaki's Opposition to the Iraq War

This blog on the LA Times has a short post on Miyazaki and his opposition to the Iraq War, citing that as the reason why he did not personally receive his Academy Award for Spirited Away several years ago.

Here is the director himself discussing the matter with his usual dark wit:

"The reason I wasn’t here for the Academy Award was because I didn’t want to visit a country that was bombing Iraq," he said. "At the time, my producer shut me up and did not allow me to say that, but I don’t see him around today. By the way, my producer also shared in that feeling."


I tried to post a comment on their blog, but the damned site wouldn't accept, for whatever reason. Maybe I should have gossiped about Michael Jackson instead? Most likely my post was too long, but I'm trying to educate people. The LA Times should be grateful I didn't drop 500 words in their lap. Anyway, here's what I wrote:

"It should be common knowledge to any serious Miyazaki scholar that he abhorred not only the Iraq War, but war itself. The idea of violence is depicted in his work as violent tragedy, slapstick mockery, or both. I can't imagine there being any public backlash in 2009, anyway. Most Americans are themselves opposed to this war and its endless occupation.

"I don't think very many Westerners know that the war in Howl's Moving Castle was itself a reflection on the Iraq War. It was a comment on that war, viewed through the lens of Miyazaki's long career. Like an old teacher, he asks if we were paying attention to his warnings all these years. This is a bit harder for us Americans, of course, because we are so late to the party, but the lessons remain."

3 comments:

HertzaHaeon said...

Insightful comment. You should go post it. Break it up into two if needed.

I've updated the Wikipedia page on Miyazaki with this news, btw.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes said...

Thanks a lot on updating the Miyazaki Wikipedia page. Feel free to pour through the Ghibli Blog and update as much as you can. That's a project we can all work on together. Steal whatever you like.

ami said...

wow. this is really interesting news! it just boosted my already great respect for miyazaki even higher!

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover