Search

2011-04-01

Pixar Meets My Neighbor Totoro


Hmm, it appears some folks are skeptical about the idea of Pixar and Totoro joining together.  It's not as far-fetched an idea as it appears.  Take a look at these drawings and paintings, created by Pixar artists, that bring their vision of Totoro's world to life.  I really enjoy these paintings, and I'm sure you'll like them, too.

The following drawings were created by (in order): Pete Docter (minnesota native and director of Monsters Inc and UP), Peter Sohn (Pixar animator and voice of Emile in Ratatouille), Paul Topolos (concept art for The Incredibles and Ratatouille), and Nate Wragg (end title sequence in Ratatouille).  Finally, the CGI Totoro from the previous post was rendered by Richard Vander Wende, who worked on Disney's Aladdin back in 1992.

All of this artwork was created in 2008 for the Totoro Forest Project, a joint venture between the US and Japan to preserve the wilderness of the area outside Tokyo known as "Totoro's Forest."  The area has been a personal cause of Hayao Miyazaki for over a decade.

6 comments:

Cello said...

No hard feelings on the Aprils Fool Prank? :)

-Japancinema

Daniel Thomas MacInnes said...

This was a really good prank. It definitely got people talking for much of the day. I dig it!

The only thing I would have changed would be the date. Christmas 2011 is just too soon. I would either say "2013," or say that Pixar was making a new Totoro short film to go alongside their next feature film.

Cello said...

Daniel, totally, I thought of that, but I wanted it to be an obvious April Fools prank that way it would have been more *facepalm* worthy lol. Also I was afraid if I made it TOO believable, maybe Pixar would come after me lol. Thanks for being a good sport and I am glad it struck up some talk on your site.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes said...

Ah, yes, that's a really good point. Thanks again, it was a lot of fun. There should definitely be more facepalm-worthy comedy on these websites, heh heh.

14111989 said...

Totally No.

Eyz said...

Oh man...you scared me for a while!
I was just googling "Pixar+Totoro" to find pictures of his cameo in this story..then ended up seeing these fake posters..oh man...

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover