Search

2011-07-24

Future Boy Conan and Heidi Coming to Blu-Ray


Excellent news for Miyazaki and Takahata fans in Japan!  Heidi, Girl of the Alps and Future Boy Conan are coming to Blu-Ray disc this holiday season.  Both series have been expected to make the leap to the high definition format, and there were reports that new 35mm prints have been struck for the BD box sets.  I have no doubt that people are going to be stunned at the picture quality.

The Heidi and Conan BD box sets are outrageously expensive - 36,000 Yen ($451.86) for Heidi, 32,000 Yen ($401.66) for Conan - and there are no English subtitles.  This is purely for the Japanese market.  That said, I would hope that other parties emerge to release these series for release in the West.  Heidi became an international sensation, after all, so there definitely is a global market.

Future Boy Conan will be released on November 25, 2011, and Heidi, Girl of the Alps will be released on December 22, 2011.  Yeah, I know, two weeks from now, the economy will have collapsed and we'll all be eating rats by tire fire under a bridge, but it's still nice to dream about the future.

Much thanks to reader Joel Gutheil, who send me an email about the Conan box set.

5 comments:

Joel said...

Thanks for the nod D-Man

watkinzez said...

The worst thing is, I'd consider those prices if subs were included. My bank account hates me.

Umang said...

I'd love to buy those, but the prices are ridiculous... I'm willing to pay around $100-$150 for each set... $400 - $450 for each is insane to say the least!

hjg said...

I'd love to see those with good video quality.

Abel said...

http://www.tvlife.jp/news/detail.php?news_id=49873

in Amazon Japan they have a a very interesting price, I whish they only would have put english subtitles...

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover