Search

2016-05-20

New Studio Ghibli Book Coming May 27 in Spain


Excellent news, everybody! We have a new Studio Ghibli book coming soon!

Alvaro Lopez Martin and Marta Garcia Villar, the authors of last year's excellent full-color book, Mi Vicino Miyazaki, have returned with their second volume, Antes De Mi Vicino Miyazaki. This book details the films of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata before the founding of Studio Ghibli. It will be released in hardcover, in Spain, on May 27.

Once again, the authors have kindly asked me to contribute, and I wrote the Preface for the book. It was a joy to work with Alvaro and Marta again, and humbly thank them for their kindness and generosity.

For my English-speaking readers of this site, I should advise you that Antes De Mi Vicino Miyazaki is entirely in Espanol. No English-language translation or US release of either book is currently planned, but Alvaro and Marta both tell me they would love to see that happen.

I am currently working on the manuscripts for my indie publishing company, which will launch this year. Among my book projects will be two volumes about Studio Ghibli, Miyazaki and Takahata, based on the many essays from Ghibli Blog. I am greatly anticipating these volumes, and appreciate the competition from the excellent Mi Vicino Miyazaki series. I will have to work extra hard to ensure that I can keep up.

Also, for the record: Yes, I would be thrilled to secure the US rights to these two books and publish them in English and Spanish. But securing the copyrights for the use of art assets would be a major expense. It might also prove challenging with the second volume, as we would need to contact Toei (Horus), Zuiyo (Heidi, Girl of the Alps), Nippon Animation (Marco, Anne) and TMS (Lupin, Conan, Sherlock) for clearance. You see, Lisa, grownups have this thing called "money."

Alvaro and Marta can be found on the excellent Ghibli fansite Generacion Ghibli. I highly recommend that all fans bookmark and follow the site. If you are interested in these terrific books, visit them and show your support!



No comments:

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover